Kevin Pauza MD, invented the Discseel® Procedure to repair damaged spinal discs. The procedure uses FDA-approved Fibrin, which is a 100% natural biologic to repair and seal damaged spinal discs. Spine surgery, including spinal fusions, can't repair damaged discs. Pauza first used Fibrin in trauma in its FDA-approved indication for facial reconstruction; for splenic repair following blunt trauma; and to control cardiac bleeding. Pauza next developed the Discseel® Procedure, which uses Fibrin in an "off-label" manner to repair spinal discs. The FDA allows the use of FDA-approved Fibrin in an off-label manner in the disc because no other treatment exists, and there's a need to treat damaged discs. The FDA determined that Fibrin is safe and effective in other indications.
Nothing else exists to repair spinal discs. Surgeons have attempted sutures or ligatures to repair discs without success. Stem cells and PRP fail to reliably help because they leak from damaged discs. Often people suffering from Degenerative Disc Disease are plagued with back pain from one or more torn discs, which inflame nerves within the discs as well as the adjacent spinal nerve causing back pain and leg pain or neck and arm pain. When a disc leaks, over time it can lose hydration and become degenerated. The Discseel® Procedure uses a Fibrin biologic to repair the damaged, torn discs, allowing an individual's body to replace the damaged cells with new cells. Essentially, the goal of the Discseel® Procedure is for the Fibrin biologic to seal and instigate healthy, new disc tissue growth where the tissue is torn, to stop the disc from leaking, and no longer inflaming the nerves. Studies affirm that Fibrin seals discs returning them to normal mechanical strength. Fibrin sealant can allow stem cells and growth factors to stay and help a disc that would otherwise leak.
The Four Steps of the Discseel® Procedure
- Consultation: After you submit your application, Dr. Wolff will sit down with you for a one on one consultation to review your options.
- Annulogram: After your consultation and just before the Discseel® Procedure Dr. Wolff will perform an Annulogram to get a detailed image of your torn disc.
- The Discseel® Procedure: During the proceudre, Dr. Wolff will inject your damaged disc with the biologic Fibrin, repairing the tears in your spinal discs. In less than 90 minutes, your procedure will be done.
- Recovery: The recovery process is simple and fast. After the Discseel® Procedure, most patients are walking in the next 24 hours.
Successful relief can easily be your reality
Hear what our past patients have to say. The Discseel® Procedure. These are all complex spine cases from around the World, which have failed to benefit from multiple procedures and even multiple surgeries are done elsewhere.
The Discseel® Procedure vs Spinal Fusion
For decades, physicians have been recommending spinal fusions to patients, only for them to fail. These life-altering procedures have lead to some of the highest percentages of surgical failures and opioid dependency among surgical patients. So the real question is: why are doctors not recommending a procedure that has greater success? It's simple, an average spinal fusion patient is worth between $250,000 and $750,000 in insurance payouts over the patient's lifetime. It was the high failure that leads to the creation of the Discseel® Procedure. So how do the two procedures compare to each other? Here are some facts:
- In over 40% of patients that receive a spinal fusion, the fusion does not address the long term source of the pain
- At least 1/3 of all spinal fusion patients need a second or third fusion of their spine within 10 years
- The Discseel® Procedure has been successful in permanently relieving back pain in 70% of patients that had a previous failed spinal procedure, such as a spinal fusion
Read Health and News Blog
How the Discseel® Procedure Changed Hector's Life
Learn about Hector's struggles with pain and how the Discseel® Procedure offered relief from Southwest Spine & SportsRead
How the Discseel® Procedure Changed Jenny's Life
Suffering terrible pain, Jenny sought relief from the Discseel® Procedure. This treatment from Southwest Spine & Sports got her moving again.Read
How the Discseel® Procedure Changed Jim’s Life
Learn how Discseel transformed Jim's quality of life. Contact Southwest Spine & Sports for more information on the Discseel® Procedure.Read
How the Discseel Procedure Changed Sean's Life
Learn how the Discseel® Procedure helped get Sean back to his active lifestyle.Read